Afya Bora Consortium Fellowships in Global Health Leadership is now accepting applications for the 2013-2014 Fellowship year. There are 20 positions available for health professionals interested in a 12-month fellowship (starting June 2013) in one of our African partner countries (Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda).
The Afya Bora Consortium is a partnership of 8 academic health centers, four in Africa and four in the United States. The four pairs are:
• University of Nairobi and the University of Washington
• University of Botswana and the University of Pennsylvania
• Makerere University and Johns Hopkins University
• Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences and the University of California, San Francisco
The purpose of the Afya Bora Fellowship is to provide trainees with a set of practical skills that will prepare them for leadership positions in government, non-government, and academic health institutions in developing countries.
The 12 month training program has 2 components:
1) a 9-week Core Curriculum, plus 3 distance learning modules, and
2) two 4.5-month assignments to sites, such as Ministries of Health, NGOs, etc. in partner African countries.
In order to be eligible to apply all applicants MUST meet the following criteria
1. Be a citizens of US, Kenya, Botswana, Uganda, or Tanzania AND
2. Meet ONE of the following education requirements
a. Medical applicants need to have a M.D. or MBChB with a MMed, MPH or Masters degree in related field.
b. Nursing applicants need to have a Masters degree in Nursing, Public Health or a related field (PhD preferred).
c. Other Public Health professionals (those without a clinical degree) must have a PhD in Public Health or a related field
Applications are due January 24, 2013.